About the Attorney
Ms. Brenda Nelms obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Economics from Georgia State University, where she graduated Summa Cum Laude, which is the highest honors achievable. While earning her undergraduate degree, Ms. Nelms was also awarded the Wall Street Journal Student of the Year for her outstanding achievement in economics.
Ms. Nelms went on to Law School attending George Mason University School of Law located in Arlington, Virginia, where she earned her Doctor of Law degree in 2000.
Ms. Nelms has concentrated her entire legal career exclusively in the areas of family and divorce law, which means that she has represented thousands of clients with their family law issues over the last 16 years.
Ms. Nelms believes that divorce should be resolved through mediation and collaboration, when possible, and she was one of the first family law attorneys in Sarasota County to be certified in collaborative law. She has been representing families both in and out of the courtroom for over 16 years and she is known to be fiercely committed to her clients.
- State of Maryland - 2000
- State of Florida - 2004
- George Mason University School of Law; Doctor of Law; 2000.
- Georgia State University; Bachelor of Science in Economics; 1997.
- Past President of the Venice –Englewood Bar Association, Venice, Florida.
- Past President of the Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Sarasota, Florida.
- American Inn of Court, Barrister, Sarasota, Florida.
- Family Court of Professional Collaborative, Sarasota, Florida, Past board member.
- Florida Academy of Collaborative Professionals, Member.
- State Bar of Florida; Family Law Section Member.
- Sarasota County Bar Association, Member.
- Big Brothers, Big Sisters; Past board member.